Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Halibut with Zucchini and Garlic Mojo

We keep saying we should eat more fish but it never really seems to pop up on our weekly menu. I think somewhere in the back of my mind I think I don't really like fish. Then I have a dish like this & realize I am so wrong.
Halibut with Zucchini and Garlic Mojo
This dish from Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday was just wonderful & perfect for Cinco de Mayo. The original recipe called for Snapper but suggested halibut, mahimahi, catfish or bass would work as well. Since our market had fresh wild halibut on sale I went for that. It was well suited to cooking on the skillet & came out very tender.

A great thing about this dish is everything is done in the same skillet, first the garlic, then the fish & finally the zucchini. According to the recipe this mojo is less rich than the traditional version & we enjoyed the lightness of it. It has a good garlic flavor but surprisingly doesn't overpower the fish or zucchini. Don't be tempted to skip the fresh lime to squeeze over the final dish, it really adds a little tang & brightness that made the flavor in my opinion.

Halibut with Zucchini & Garlic Mojo
(adapted for serving size from Mexican Everyday)

2 1/2 T olive oil
4 -5 cloves garlic, peeled & halved
1/3 c chicken broth
salt
pepper
10 oz halibut fillet, about 3/4-inch thick, skinned
1/2 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime, cut into wedges

Place the olive oil in a skillet & heat over medium heat. Add the garlic & cook until light brown about 4 minutes. Remove the garlic to a small food processor or blender leaving as much oil in the pan as possible. Add the chicken broth, 1/4 t pepper & 1/4 t salt to the food processor as well & blend until smooth. Set aside.

In the same skillet bring the heat up to medium-high. Salt & pepper the halibut. Lay the fish in the hot pan. Cook the first side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip & cook the second side another 2 minutes. The fish should give slightly to firm pressure. Put the fish on an oven safe tray & keep warm in low oven.

Keeping the skillet at medium-high heat add the zucchini. Cook until the zucchini is lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic sauce and cilantro to the pan & bring to a boil. Serve the zucchini & fish with the sauce over them. (We also served it with rice & I really liked them all mixed together.)

Serves 2

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Dewi said...

Such a delicious looking Halibut! I really like the simplicity of it too.
Cheers,
elra

Justin said...

i could use a little garlic mojo in my life right now

Cate O'Malley said...

I try and have fish at least once a week and am always on the lookout for new recipes - this one looks delicious (and so simple!).

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Looks great! I made fish for cinco de mayo too:)

grace said...

excellent choice for cinco de mayo. i'm sure you're right about that lime at the end--it adds so much.
meanwhile, i can't even think about mojo without austin powers coming to mind. :)

Jen said...

I saw Rick Bayless's cookbook in a bookstore last week and was wondering if it was any good... this recipe looks great.

Sam said...

I've only ever had halibut once but which is a shame because it's such a delicious fish. I love the look of this recipe, it sounds really tasty!

Peter M said...

Nicely done...delicate flavours allow the halibut's flavour to come through. I like the cilatro here as your herb of choice.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive been looking for a good halibut recipe, as I love it and want to get my husband liking it. This sounds amazing. Love the cilantro :)

Maris said...

I'm the same as you - constantly telling myself that I'll eat more fish but can't seem to stray from pasta!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Yeah, I keep saying that I like halibut but we never seem to have it on the table too. This looks like a fantastic dish and I love the greenness of it all. Must try: I'll be picking up halibut this week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota