Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Grilled Steak with Roasted Sunchokes & Parsnips with Fresh Horseradish Cream

I used two ingredients from our CSA box for this dinner that I'd never used before, sunchokes and fresh horseradish. I had read that sunchokes can be used raw to replace jicama or watercress so we tasted a little raw & it does have that same texture with very little taste. Our CSA newsletter suggested roasting them & serving them with a horseradish cream so that's the route we went.
Grilled Steak & Roasted Sunchokes & Parsnips with Fresh Horseradish Cream
Even roasted I don't feel the sunchokes had that much flavor, I feel like they may be more of a vehicle for other flavors. I won't search them out to use again. Really it was the horseradish that was the star of this meal. This cream sauce was perfect over the steak & the vegetables. It has a nice sharp flavor but it wasn't so strong that it overpowered everything.

Horseradish Cream Sauce
(from Martha Stewart)

1/2 c sour cream
1 T fresh horseradish root, peeled & grated
1 T fresh chive, snipped into small pieces
a pinch of two of kosher salt

Mix everything together & let sit for an hour of so in the fridge to blend the flavors.

We have a lot of horseradish root left & apparently we can keep it in the fridge for a coupe months so I plan on making this sauce a lot to use on grilled food over the summer.

2 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I love horseradish! It looks great here in the cream sauce!

I have never had sun chokes before, so I don't have any clever ideas of how to best use them.

Deborah said...

I have always wanted to try sunchokes, but maybe I don't need to!

Fresh horseradish is something I've never had - but this sauce looks amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota