Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gilled Asian Flank Steak with Sweet Slaw

On Tuesday afternoons, I meet with a wonderful group of women for a few hours of knitting & some good chat but it means I often don't get home until five so I don't really want to cook anything that involved a ton of prep. That's why I love the Fast Easy Recipes in Bon Appétit each month. I particularly like it when you get the side & the main dish such as in this one. Plus this was done on the grill so I didn't even have pans to clean! The meat is pretty delicately flavored with only 30 minutes marinating, though you could really taste the flavor in the edges. The slaw on the other hand is quite tangy so its a good pairing. The slaw was supposed to be made of Napa Cabbage but we had Savoy & it was a fine substitution.

Grilled Asian Flank Steak with Sweet Slaw

1/4 c soy sauce
5 T vegetable oil
5 t fresh ginger, peeled & minced
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 1/2 lb flank steak
3 T sugar
3 T seasoned rice vinegar
2 red jalapenos, thinly sliced into rounds (I remove the seeds & ribs & cut into half circles)
5 c Napa Cabbage, thinly sliced
3/4 c cropped green onions

Mix soy sauce, oil, 3 t ginger and garlic is a resealable bag. Add the steak and seal bag. Turn to coat & let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes turning occasionally.
Stir sugar & vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat & add jalapeno and 2 t ginger. Place cabbage & 1/2 green onions in a medium bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over and toss to coat. Season with salt & pepper & let stand while preparing steak, tossing occasionally.
Grill steak until desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let stand on a cutting board for 10 minutes after cooking. Slice thinly against grain.
Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c green onions on slaw & serve.

Serves 4
from Bon Appétit June '08

4 comments:

Neen said...

Ooh, I saw that section: Our Bon Appetit just arrived too. I'll to content myself with drooling over their photos and yours since we don't have a grill. Sigh. Maybe someday.

kat said...

Neen - I highly recommend a grill pan. We got a nice Calphalon One pan & always used that when we lived in an apartment.

MrOrph said...

Kat, I saw the same recipe ant thought, hmmmm, gotta do this. Too easy and very summery.

I cannot enjoy my outside grill yet, and I am the "grillmaster", due to the carpenter bees. They are so stupid! Well the male drones are. They just fly right into my head while I try to grill!!! The queen, on the other hand, well, she stings. We have a guy and the another guy coming to rectify the issue, then you'll read about my interpretation of this recipe.

The pix are mouth-watering!

kat said...

mrorph - of those bees have to be frustrating!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota