Thursday, May 1, 2008

Beef Stroganoff

When I posted the picture of this dish on Flickr a friend wrote, "Now that reminds me of Minnesota." It made me laugh because as I was making it I said to Matt that even though it wasn't technically a hotdish is was certainly close. This is a dish I grew up with & its still as creamy & comforting as ever. Its super easy & fast to put together & then just let it simmer away for an hour. This recipe is the one my Mom always used, I'm not sure where its from but it tastes just as good as I remember.
Beef Stroganoff

1 T unsalted butter
1 lb beef round steak or flank steak, cut into thin strips
1 med yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 can golden mushroom soup
1/3 c water
1/2 c sour cream
salt & pepper

In a large skillet melt the butter over med-high heat. Add the onions & beef and cook until the beef is browned & the onions are softened. Drain fat. Stir in soup and water & bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in sour cream & just heat through. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve over hot egg noodles.

Serves 4

2 comments:

Deborah said...

A truly comforting meal!!

Neen said...

Yum. My grandfather makes a mean beef stroganoff and figured out a couple of years ago how much I love it. Literally, every single time I go to visit, even if it's just for one night, he makes beef stroganoff. It's this really touching family tradition now. I'm glad you guys love it too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota